Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

menu of the week

It's sad to say, but I'm pretty unenthused about last week's menu on the whole. Some nights I didn't like dinner and on the other nights Matt wasn't pleased, with the exception of pasta night. I guess it was just one of those weeks, but you just can't beat homemade spaghetti...

warm barley salad - This recipe is from the Whole Foods 'Meals for 4 under $15' flyer for Spring 2012, so if you're interested go pick one up at your local store. It's basically barley, some raw veggies, chickpeas, fresh herbs, and a lemon tahini yogurt dressing. Very refreshing, but Matt thought the dressing was overpowering. You might want to add the dressing to taste for each portion.

fresh pasta with pesto - Hillary and I made spaghetti last weekend and I paired mine with pesto made with basil from Matt's "office crops." (He grows herbs in his office which has a giant window overlooking the Newport bridge.) My favorite pesto recipe - combine 1 cup fresh basil (packed), 2 tablespoons pine nuts (use almonds if you think pine nuts are too pricey), 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano (I like it better than Parmigiano), 2 cloves of minced garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped. Drizzle in about 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and pulse again. You pretty much can't go wrong. 

sweet potato and quinoa salad - A big hit with all of us, this warm salad is definitely something I'll make again. I used a tri-color quinoa from Trader Joe's.

cheesy polenta and roasted vegetable pie - I cut this recipe out of the Providence Journal and unfortunately it wasn't my favorite. I have such high standards when it comes polenta and this version made with water just didn't cut it. I prefer a richer polenta made with cream or at least whole milk. Also, this recipes calls for the vegetables and polenta to be combined in a baking dish and then baked. I think it would be much more simple to just add the roasted vegetables to the hot polenta on a plate and skip the baking. However, the crispy mozzarella could only be achieved by baking, so I guess this dish has at least one redeeming quality. 

porterhouse steak with garlic chips, smashed potatoes, and edamame - Simple steaks, boiled potatoes that are literally smashed with the handle of a knife and then fried in butter, and boiled edamame. And for once I timed everything right so we didn't end up eating an accidental three course meal.

Here's hoping this week is more of a culinary success.   

P.S. More pasta photos...



3 comments:

  1. Ha, I love what you said about the accidental three course meal...I do that a lot : ) Your homemade pasta looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the Kitchenaid pasta attachment! Any tips??

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...