Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

a quilt for a baby yet to be

My latest quilt was made with a special woman in mind. My friend Alex's sister Mikaela asked if I could make one for her friend who's been going through a difficult time and I readily agreed. 

Mikaela chose a few of the quilt designs I suggested and then I picked the easiest one because we were working with a small window of time. Once the design was decided Mikaela and I went to Joann to pick out the fabric. She picked out all the prints based on what she thought her friend would like and I helped her edit for color, pattern, and value. My favorite prints are the ones by Denyse Schmidt.
Oooh, and I just love the backing! 
I used a simple tutorial from Film in the Fridge as a guideline. It all came together in under a week from start to finish. 


Simple straight lines of quilting echo the lines of the quilt. There are two lines on either side of the seams where the blocks and stripes meet.  
The quilt is bound with a simple navy and white polka dot and I love how it pairs with the backing. In fact, I love it so much that I might just go back to Joann to pick up some of these fabrics for myself!
I hope that this quilt brings joy and comfort to the woman who it was made for. It was an honor to pray for her as I sewed and quilted, and I hope she feels the love that was put into every stitch. 

4 comments:

  1. I gave it to gave it to her for her birthday and she loved it!!! Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yay! A new quilt!
    2. I did not know those were Denyse Schmidt prints. I've even bought some because I love them and I did not realize this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara you are so talented

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...