Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

put a bow on it | leopard flats

Meet my new leopard flats. I bought them about a month ago and they had these sad little bows that looked like faded shoelaces, so I decided to swap them out for some shiny satin ribbons. 

See how sad the original bows look?

First I removed the bows using my seam ripper and a tiny pair of scissors. I considered leaving the flats plain, but as you can see there are some small holes where the bows were stitched to the shoes. I didn't think anyone would be looking too closely at my feet, but I thought it would be best to cover the holes anyway.

Bye bye, sad bows!

Next I cut two lengths of satin ribbon and tied bows - nothing fancy, just a regular bow. At this point you could secure the bows vertically along the knots with a few quick stitches (I did) so they won't be able to come untied, or just cross your fingers and hope they stay tied!

Attach the bows with a generous dab of craft glue, and then trim the ribbon to the desired length. I like mine on the long side, extending over the edge of the shoe. 

It's a good idea to use clips of some sort to secure the bows while they're drying. I let mine dry overnight and they were good to go the next day!

Edit: After wearing my shoes three times one of the bows fell off! The craft glue wasn't strong enough, so use hot glue or even super glue instead. 

2 comments:

  1. Too cute. Great DIY!! I am tweeting this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those do look much much better :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...