Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

new beginnings in Autumn | a special delivery

Happy Monday everyone! I know, I know - Mondays aren't usually considered the happiest of days, but that's how I'm feeling right now. Autumn is so amazing and I'm just loving every day lately. The leaves are starting to turn, people are breaking out their sweaters, and pumpkins are showing up on doorsteps in the neighborhood. I love that the beginning of fall is like the start of a new year, but in September. Here's one way you can help someone celebrate the season, no matter where you live! 

Around this time last year I gave a friend a little basket full of her favorite snacks (it was part of our church's secret prayer sister ministry - more about that here), but I didn't want it to end up looking like a typical grocery store fruit basket. You know the kind I mean - bruised apples, yellowing oranges, the odd pear, and lots of cellophane. If you'd like to create something similar, here's what you do...

Pick up a small bushel basket at your local craft store, pull out the kraft paper, and gather some fabric and ribbon scraps from your stash.

Cover the basket with a piece of fabric (I chose burlap printed with old skeleton keys) and then wrap the whole thing with a wide strip of lace and some wired linen ribbon.

Select your snacks! I chose some pears, apples, clementines, two kinds of cheddar, and a bar of dark chocolate.

Wrap up the cheese and chocolate with kraft paper and tie them up with ribbons. At the last minute I decided to add a cheese slicer to the basket, so I tied a bow on that, too.



Now arrange everything in the basket and admire your contribution to the anti-shrink wrapped gift movement.

Last step - delivery! I left it my friend's doorstep for her to find some time that day. I like to think it was a nice surprise! Have you ever left a surprise on someone's doorstep? I'd love to hear...

P.S. Today is my dad's and his twin sister's birthday, so... Happy birthday Dad and Aunt Mickey! 

2 comments:

  1. That is such a festive and thoughtful idea - I would love to be on the receiving end of a gift basket like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet idea! Love this.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...