Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

a Mother's Day luncheon

In honor of our mothers and Matt's grandmother, we hosted a little lunch on Sunday afternoon. When I saw all the Mara Mi products at Target I knew they were the perfect starting point for the day. I picked up a cute tablecloth, dinner napkins, and cocktail napkins and bought lush pink peonies and and pale orange tulips to complete the table. 

Using leftover tissue from the tissue poms of last week (it's made of the clippings from making the ends of the poms pointy!) I created a streamer banner to accent my chevron wall art. Definitely leaving it up until Matt can't take it anymore. I love the texture and the bright pop of color it gives to the room.


The menu for the day was sort of southwestern and sort of Cinco de Mayo. I don't know. I made sweet onion and potato quesadillas with goat cheese from this cookbook and my sister-in-law Becky brought a spicy layered dip served with blue corn chips. Southwestern salad started off the sit down portion of our meal, and then I served buffalo style chilli and veggie enchiladas. And in case you're interested, starting at the left and going clockwise, that's my mom, my brother Brendan, my brother-in-law Chris, my nephew Jacob, Chris's wife Becky, Matt's grandmother ("Mama"), my mother-in-law Cheryl, my father-in-law Pat, Matt, Ezra, and my Dad, also Pat. (My dad is Patrick and my father-in-law is Pasquale.) Okay, moving on...

For dessert we had fresh pineapple and strawberries, Mexican brownies, and a delicious flan that Becky made. Now wait. Please look at my little hippo sugar dish and zebra creamer! Aren't they so cute? My mom got them for me at Anthropologie years ago. Ezra loves the zebra and shrieked, "Neigh! Neigh!" every time someone used it or passed it around the table. We had a lovely day with our families, and I'm very blessed to have my mom and mother-in-law in my life. Ezra has two wonderful grandmothers and a great great-grandmother, too.

This passage from the book of Proverbs is a beautiful reminder of what mothers should aspire to:  "Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise." Proverbs 31:28-31

P.S. See the Mother's Day brunch (when we told our families that I was pregnant!) we hosted two years ago right here.

2 comments:

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...