Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

the best breakfast // a twist on the Dutch baby

I've written about my love for Dutch babies (the pancakes, not infants from the Netherlands) in the past, so when I tried this twist on one of my favorite breakfasts I knew I had to share. Inspired by a recipe in Joy the Baker's new cookbook, I added some toppings to my typical recipe. In case you're wondering why I didn't just make Joy's version, I decided to stick with mine because hers has double the amount of butter and 1/3 cup of sugar in the batter. While I love butter and sugar just as much as the next person (maybe even more so!), I didn't think I needed to add those ingredients to something Ezra and I would be eating first thing in the morning. One thing I did add to the batter from Joy's recipe was a couple tablespoons of toasted coconut. Delicious.

Tropical Dutch Baby
serves one hungry mama and her toddler

Ingredients
3 large eggs
1/2 C flour (you can substitute whole wheat flour without a problem, although the pancake won't rise as much)
1/2 C milk
1/4 t salt
1/4 C unsweetened coconut
1/2 t vanilla
2 T butter
1 C chopped fresh pineapple
1 sliced banana

Directions
Heat oven to 400°.  Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for a few minutes, checking periodically to make sure it doesn't burn. Stir if necessary to prevent the edges from browning too quickly. Remove from the oven and allow the coconut to cool. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl to combine.  Add flour to eggs and whisk until smooth.  Add milk, salt, 2 tablespoons toasted coconut, and vanilla and whisk to incorporate; set aside.  Add butter to a cast iron skillet (I use a 9 3/4 inch skillet, but something close will do) and transfer to the oven until melted.  Remove from oven and carefully tilt the pan to swirl the butter over the bottom and sides of the pan. Quickly scrape the batter into the skillet.  Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the pancake with the remaining coconut, pineapple, and banana. Enjoy. 

Note: My oven takes fourteen minutes to preheat, so I put the coconut in while it's warming up, keeping a close eye on so it doesn't burn. Then I make the batter. Once the oven has six minutes to go I add the butter to the skillet and stick it in the oven. It's perfectly melted by the time the oven is preheated so I just take the pan out and pour the batter in. Your oven is probably different than mine, but I just figured I would share what works for me. 

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I run a little bed and breakfast. I think I may have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be perfect at a bed & breakfast! I know I'd love to wake up to one :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband does not like coconut at all so I never use it....could I just leave it out and maybe put in some of those red cherries that are in a jar with the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The pineapple I used was fresh, but you could use canned as well. You can really do whatever you want with this recipe - some other good toppings are sugar and lemon, raspberry jam with a dusting of powdered sugar, and fresh strawberries.

      Delete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...