Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Meeting Street Cafe

You all know how I love trying new restaurants and revisiting old favorites in Rhode Island.  Well, a couple of weeks ago Ari introduced me to a new-to-me restaurant on Thayer Street called Meeting Street Cafe, a place I've walked by literally hundreds of times, so many times that I can't believe I've never stopped in for a snack!  Ari and her husband Matt went there on their first date so it's a very special place for them and after eating there I can see why they like it so much! 


I ordered the classic reuben sandwich with a pickle and it was enormous!  Both the pickle and the sandwich.  The bread was perfectly toasted and absolutely stuffed with corned beef and sauerkraut.  Swiss was oozing out the sides as I took each bite and thousand island was constantly dripping onto my plate.  Delicious, albeit a little messy.  I was only able to eat half and then my darling husband Matt ate the rest without telling me so I went looking for it the next day and was sorely disappointed.  You're probably wondering why I'm so bitter and unwilling to share with the guy I love.  Let me explain.  Matt thinks there are only three food groups - chicken cutlets, macaroni (not '& cheese,' macaroni is what he calls all pasta), and orange juice.  He does not like corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, or thousand island dressing and yet he still ate my sandwich.  And later complained that it wasn't any good.  Now do you understand my frustration?  Hmph.  

Ari had just about the tallest tuna melt I've ever seen, also with a pickle.  I'm not a big tomato fan so we didn't split entrées as usual, but she thoroughly enjoyed her sandwich as well.  I can't say whether her husband (also named Matt) unkindly ate her leftover half of a sandwich, but I hope she wasn't as unpleasantly surprised as I was upon opening her refrigerator door later that evening or the next day. 
In other news, Ari and Matt very recently moved to Connecticut so our breakfast and lunch dates are sure to come fewer and farther in between.  Sigh.  I'm trying to look on the bright side and say that Ari can find lots of yummy places to dine around her new home and give me a culinary tour of the city soon.  Any New Haven recommendations? 

3 comments:

  1. If you're in New Haven for the day, gotta get Louis' Lunch, I believe on Crown Street! It's a tiny shack of a place, but is allegedly THE birthplace of the hamburger! The burgers are still cooked on the old fashion cast iron grill contraptions that they used to be back in the early 1900's. Also, bun-lovers, beware! Burgers were served in white bread back then, so white bread is what you get, although it's nice and toasted! The line is worth it :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...