Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the birds

(image via spool sewing blog
When I first started sewing about a year ago I became obsessed with making these birds which I found in the free pattern section of the sidebar on the spool sewing blog.  The spool bird was the first project I tackled without the help of my teacher, Lorraine, and I was exceedingly proud that I could, in fact, complete a simple sewing project unassisted.  In my excitement I thought to myself, I shall make 100 birds.  It became my short term goal and I busily began cutting out bird backs and bellies.  Making 100 birds has now become a long term goal because as of today I believe I have only made about 17 birds and nearly a year has passed.  To be honest I sort of lost track.  You see, I made 5 or 6 feathered (fabric-ed?) friends very quickly and then I was asked by my friend Ari if I would make birds to be attached to the chairs at the end of the aisle at her wedding ceremony last summer.  I happily agreed and stitched up a whole flock of gold and white birds.  See them?  They're watching Ari and Matt walk down the aisle as a brand new married couple.
Ari also asked her friend Nicole to whip up a couple of birds.  Her assignment was the cake toppers and let me just say that she completely showed me up.  The groom bird had a top hat and the bride bird had a veil.  Plus they were just neater all around.  I wanted to take them home with me. 
Anyway, the problem is I don't know how many birds I made for the wedding, and therefore do not know how many birds I've made in total.  I have a basket full of bird pieces that are in various stages of life.  Some only need to be stuffed, other have yet to be sewn together, and still others are just pairs of coordinating scraps.  Maybe some day I'll pick up the project again, but for now I've been drooling over this mobile that I saw on the spool blog last summer.
  
(image via spool sewing blog
I love that each bird was handmade by a different friend of the expectant parents.  Each one is unique and so full of personality.  If it were my mobile I would give each one a name, but maybe that's just me.  Recently, while browsing ohdeedoh for nursery inspiration, I discovered this nursery tour of a baby named Charley Mae, none other than the recipient of my favorite bird mobile!  In addition to the little birdies, I love the yellow crib, zebra rug, and wall art mural.  Let's hope my baby's nursery is as inviting as Charley Mae's!    
(image via spool sewing blog

8 comments:

  1. the mobile is a really cool idea. Not much into birds but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the birds, I can see why you set out to make as many as you could! And I love the idea of a collaborative mobile. Some people are so clever! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just linked to you from my FB site :)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunshine-Coast-QLD/mabel-daisy/147000063543?v=photos&ref=ts#!/pages/Sunshine-Coast-QLD/mabel-daisy/147000063543?v=wall&viewas=646669323&ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so completely love these birds too! I made a mobile for my sister Christmas before last. I actually linked to the Spool tute from one of my recent blog posts, and just seeing them again made me want to make some more! Aren't they sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mobile, it's so cute
    In France, these birds are very famous too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I discovered these birds recently and started my first one today. I too love the mobile and hope that one day I'll have a little collection of them living in my daughters room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are absolutely fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looove that mobile! We do nature mobiles in our house and the birds will be perfect! I can´t wait to try to make a bird :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...