Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

comfort in the kitchen

One of my favorite foods is beef stroganoff but I must confess I've only ever had it prepared with one recipe - my mom's.  It's from one of her cookbooks that she's had for ages and the recipe is actually titled Economy Beef Stroganoff because it calls for stew beef and most call for sirloin steak tips, braised short ribs, or something equally expensive.  Stew beef can be found for $2 per pound if you have your eyes peeled for sales at your local supermarket.  I stock up whenever it's cheap and stuff the freezer so I can make this satisfying comfort food any time.  It was the perfect dinner last week when we had a small swimming pool in our basement.  The dish takes an eternity to cook so Matt and I (alright, it was more Matt than I) vacuumed up water and monitored the pump to ensure our basement was on the way to its pre-flood condition while the the beef softened up.
Economy Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. stew beef in 1/8" slices
2 T butter
1 1/2 C beef broth
2 T ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t salt
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3 T flour
1 C sour cream
4 C cooked egg noodles
1 med. chopped onion
Directions
Cook and stir beef in 2 T butter in a skillet over low heat until brown.  Reserve 1/3 C beef broth.  Stir remaining beef broth, ketchup, garlic, and salt into skillet.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours.  Stir in mushrooms and onion.  Cover and simmer until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.  Shake resserved beef broth and flour in tightly covered container.  Stir gradually into beef mixture.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir one minute; reduce heat.  Stir in sour cream; heat through.  Toss noodles with 1 T butter.  Serve beef mixture over noodles.    
Notes
I usually eliminate the teaspoon of salt as the beef broth seems to give the dish enough flavor.  The addition of more cloves of garlic helps, too.  I usually use 2-3 times the amount mentioned in any recipe (unless the garlic is raw).  Also, I don't pay attention to the instruction to use 4 cups of cooked noodles.  Instead, I just use a package of Strom No Yolks Dumpling Noodles.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my fav. meals, darn this wedding diet! ;-)

    I will save this recipe for a post-wedding meal, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or just say hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...